Friday, November 27, 2009

Snoopy's One Year Anniversary

It was one year ago (Thanksgiving 2008) that I brought Snoopy home from the Aiken SPCA to join my family .... Snoopy had been at the Aiken SPCA since January 08, I started walking her in April 08. No one else would walk her, she was terrified of a collar, so I got a step in harness. She was terrified of everyone, snapped and cowered, but I worked with her for months ... on my lunch hour twice a week ... and she started coming around ... reading a post I made back in the summer 08 I said 'she was scared to come out of her crate. She has issues with her neck,cant stand a collar, was terrified and wouldnt even walk on leash (just lay there and whined) or let anyone touch her . I have worked
with her 2 days a week on my lunch hour ever since, she now will allow you to pet her, I bought a stepin harness and she will walk nicely on leash, has a good recall, I taught her sit, down, am working on stay. She loves to play fetch and SWIM (in the wading pool). She has come SO far, with the minimal work I've done with her. This is a VERY smart
girl, and very sweet and affectionate if you treat her with respect and kindness. She is still terrified of a crate, and riding in a car, and I'm unable to get her to adoption events successfully.'   I posted her story, tried very hard to find her a home, to no avail ... she was losing weight and I decided to bring her home. She has done beautifully ... she rides in the car with delight, plays with the other dogs, is crate trained (and loves it), is generally a wonderful addition to the pack. I wish I could bring home ALL the Snoopys, but, 4 is enough...


Here's a recent picture of Snoopy

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet looking dog. Good for her and you.JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your blog.
    I'm constantly amazed at the resiliency of dogs and their unsurpassed capacity for love. They have a lot to teach us.
    A little love and patience really can unveil a treasure. You are both lucky to have each other.

    ReplyDelete