Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Corey update: Wednesday May 12

Corey is beginning to settle in, I think ... Monday was pretty traumatic (for my husband, as I was at work all day) ... Corey apparently very stressed all day, constantly chewing up balls, panting, following my husband everywhere, barking frantically for balls. (We underestimated his ball obsession ... I was used to Snoopy, who loves to play ball, and will follow you around hopefully, but is very quiet and polite ... not Corey, he gets totally revved up, barking, frantic... made the mistake of throwing the ball for him from the tractor (like we do with Snoopy) so everytime the tractor is cranked up he goes crazy...) Inside or outside, he decided every time he saw a human to bark for a ball, and, if he saw NO human, to bark for a human to appear.  The girls were very nice to him, Banshee brought him balls several times ... this was Monday. Tuesday was better, he would at least settle down on the porch with the others, but still was frantic if he glimpsed a ball ... doesnt seek affection, tolerates brushing but isnt relaxed ...  Balls were removed (but there are still balls all over the property, and dang it, Snoopy would find them and bring them.) I started him on Valerian yesterday ... Today was much better ... Corey was calm this morning, after AM run, feeding, kenneling, I released all dogs again and sat on the porch with them, brushing and loving on the 3 girls ... Corey sat quietly with us, and finally let me pet him without squirming ... then my husband joined us and Corey lay quietly while he rubbed him ... I think watching us love up the other dogs was helpful to him ... this afternoon, husband reported Corey actually took an hour nap inside (my husband and the girls were very relieved as they could also nap!) when I got home (after picking up his food, a pillow and brushes from his prior owner, and a large extra strength Kong) he let me brush him (my God he's matted already) and quietly chewed on his Kong ... we then mowed and he started chasing the tractor and barking to play ball ... I decided not to cut out ball playing completely but give a measured amount in a specific place, not connected with the tractor (thats dangerous, he was getting near the blades) so went to this terraced area which will be our new ball field, threw balls for Corey and Snoopy for 20 minutes, then put the balls up (despite loud protests from Corey) and sat with all dogs on the porch for a half hour to settle everyone down... husband and I then mowed a bit more (Corey barked at first but then gave up), I then fed and kenneled at dusk. Corey is quiet at night in his kennel, thank heaven! Problems remain ... I'm going to have have his hair cut, he's in full 'show coat' and this isnt suitable for a South Carolina farm dog:-) ... I hate to do this, but he attracts pine straw, hay  and long grass like a magnet,and mats up. (Ginger wasnt as much of a problem, she was a field Irish with a shorter denser coat and less feathers, a 10 min comb thru every evening was fine for her)... Corey would take an hour at least, plus, when the sandspurs come in it'd be a disaster)... one problem is the poor Damcat, who even came over to sniff at Corey while Corey was napping ... Corey awakened and lunged at the Damcat (who escaped and hid ... but has had tummy upset ever since.  The Damcat can stay in the bedroom when Corey is inside, this isnt the best solution but all I can think of. The problem is, Corey wont stay outside with the girls if no human is outside, he lays at the door and barks and whimpers ...

Tomorrow I'm taking him in to the vet for bloodwork etc. The former owner was supposed to give me records but all she gave me was his shot history, said she didnt think she'd ever had bloodwork done except for titering for vaccines. Turns out she showed him and he won a bunch of blue ribbons and was only 6 points from championship, whatever that means, but never bred him. This is not the kind of thing that particularly interests me, but I think I'm supposed to do something about getting his AKC registration changed (though I dont see why it would mattrer.) She was also supposed to give me his microchip info but forgot.

At any rate ... he's settling down, the girls like him (in fact they are being very nice to him, and keep looking at me hopefully as if to say 'see, he's doing OK, isnt he?' And yes, he is doing OK ... no, he's not Angel Ginger .... but I didn't expect him to be ... Ginger was my 'wild Irish rose, the sweetest flower that grows' ... Corey is a big boisterous Irishman with a loud bark and a wild gleam in his eye ... but I think he'll do fine here. Thank you, Ginger and St. Francis, and thank all of you for your prayers and support ...

Mary Lou
DB,Banshee,Ginger and Snoopy(dogs)
Damcat
Callie in spirit (04/90-06/07)
http://marylouandcompanions.blogspot.com/
http://gingeroftheflyingears.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment