Sunday, May 9, 2010

Very strange

The strangest thing has happened. I got a call from one of the staff
at my vet's office (the local vet who cared for Ginger), a very sweet
lady who was very very loving to Ginger (as was everyone at my vet) ..
she said there was a new client who has just moved to town and brought her Irish setter Corey, but wants to rehome him as she is in an apartment and he has no room to run and she is 'getting into horses' now ... Connie (the vet staffer) said she'd had him since he was a puppy, he's now 7 ... neither Connie or I, of course, could understand HOW anyone could give up an animal who'd lived with you 7 years, but, whatever. Connie said she'd thought of me, because she knew how I had
rescued and cared for Ginger and how well loved and cared for my
animals are, and how they have plenty of running room ... anyway. I was not, as many of you know, looking for another dog, I was waiting  for St. Francis to send me one if he chose to... or not. I was even leery of going to the shelter to volunteer as I was scared another dog  would 'speak to me' and I'm not ready yet  ... Connie said she didnt want me to feel pressured, she'd understand if I wasnt ready yet, but when she saw Corey and heard the lady was going to rehome him she just immediately thought of me ... But the thought of an Irish setter, needing room to run, (and running is what these dogs are BORN to do) with an owner who is going to rehome him ... I called the lady. She  said Corey was 7, loved people (what Irish setter doesnt), he'd had obedience and agility training and been in dog shows ... he is now neutered (I didnt ask how long) and is good with other dogs (she didnt
have any but takes him to dog parks etc) but doesnt do well with 'big black dogs' as one attacked him as a puppy ... and if another dog acts aggressive to him he'll act aggressive back (I actually dont believe I've ever seen an aggressive Irish setter, but ... Banshee isnt
actually 'aggressive' but she has space issues and can be very grumbly at times) I asked her to bring him out to my place to see how he got  on with my 3 girls ... this will be Sunday after church.

My husband really loves Irish setters ... he'd been looking on
petfinder and finding these Irish setters in places like New Jersey
... I told him if he wanted another dog it HAD to be a local one I
could see if the dog got along with my girls FIRST.  I am open to the idea of another dog in my pack ... and I'd hoped for St Francis to send me a male, I feel like I've just been lucky not to have too many problems with my bitches and adding another might be asking for trouble ...

I have no idea if this is a good idea, or not. I still miss Ginger SO
much (and, I assume I always will) ... and feel she had a 'paw' in
this somehow... but I  don't know if it's fair to my 3
girls to add another dog yet, or, fair to the new dog. I don't know if
he'll fit in, I dont even know if this lady will think our place is
'good enough', and I still cant understand WHY she'd be giving him up (Connie said he had no health problems)... but I know from my rescue work that people DO this kind of thing all the time, move and rehome, at least she cares enough to try and find a place for him...

It all just seems SO strange, right after I get the wonderful memorial stone for Ginger and write my post about it, I get this phone call-.

No comments:

Post a Comment