Sunday, May 9, 2010

My girls meet Corey

Corey and his owner arrived about 130. She had said they were leaving town (45 min away) at 130, so we were still straightening up when heard all this barking outside, yep, strange lady at the door. (Corey still in the car.) I went out, kenneled my girls, then she brought Corey out .. omigosh, what a big boisterous Irishman he is... twice the size of my Angel Ginger, and rowdy ... she had him on a prong collar. I asked her to let him loose, she did, and I went and let DB and Banshee out ... initial mad barking and some snarling from DB, I held DB by the collar while Corey and Banshee sniffed, then let DB loose, she sniffed where he'd marked, they then greeted each other, I put Banshee up and let Snoopy out, then let Banshee out. Corey is running around, ears flying, feathers rippling, the girls are basically watching him... we then go on the porch, I give everybody treats, then put Damcat up and let Corey inside, where we sat and talked for a bit. I let the Damcat out and he promptly went and hid in the closet. My girls settled down on the porch and I gave them treats, then we all went down the hill (husband and Corey's mom too) I riding my mower (she didnt want a mower to ride). We then hung out at the pond for awhile, threw balls for Snoopy and Corey (big competition here, Corey is faster but Snoopy is smaller and can slide under Corey's chin and scoop up the ball... no fussing though) After awhile we went back up  to the trailer, I let Corey inside with the lady while I typed up a little agreement for us to sign (I agree to foster with intent to adopt, can return Corey for any reason within 60 days, I need to get him vetted and get health insurance) ...lady is going back up North in 2 weeks and wont be back til July but if Corey doesnt fit in between now and July I'll return him).

She then left (all the above took maybe 2 hours.) She had forgotten to bring any of his food or his vet papers, which I'll pick up wednesday. After she left, we kept Corey inside (I had thought we'd all take a nap... Corey however keeps barking and wanting to play ball, this will be a challenge ... after an hour I took them all out again (my girls are like but Mom, its naptime... but followed down hill,) I did a complete circuit, Corey sticks close to me, no altercations ... when DB was digging in the woods with Banshee and Corey came over she snarled at him and he backed off and lay down. He is very deferential to the girls. Later my husband joined us on the tractor, we mowed some in back, Corey met the neighbor dogs (sniffed through fence), no problems... except he, like Snoopy, carried a ball hopefully and the minute you stop barks at you to play ball ... he also had a habit of trying to snatch the ball out of your hand, but quickly learned no one is going to play ball unless he drops it (on the lawnmower footrest), then sits and waits for you to pick it up. Still barks though, working on teaching no one throws ball until he's quiet ...) Corey, like Angel Ginger, sticks close to the humans, by your side ... at dusk, went back to trailer, got food, and fed and kenneled all dogs. Corey went straight into his kennel, didnt eat all his food at first (well, thats why I wanted some of the food he's accustomed to, Eagle Pack, so I can transition him...) Thank heavens, no barking when we left them, and quiet now.

Corey drinks a LOT of water ... and he's one of those dogs that after he drinks shakes his head so water goes everywhere (kinda a mess inside the house, but my kitchen floor needed washing anyway ... if he and the Damcat get along and he gets to be inside I'll put his bucket in the tub)...His owner said he countersurfs and will go after garbage, and chases cats, so obviously I cant let him inside by himself ...  he also pants MUCH more than any dog I've had ... and he is BIG, and boisterous. None of my front hook harnesses are big enough, of course, and I'm not using a prong collar ...he is supposedly obedience trained (he does know sit and down) but he could pull me flat on my face in a second. He doesn't seem to have any aggressiveness at all, he is being very deferential to the girls (one funny part, when we were sitting on the porch Banshee was under the bench snoozing, he was barking and barking to 'play ball' and Banshee came out from under her bench, walked over, took his ball, and glared at him, then went back under the bench. He quieted down. He's rather more pushy than I'm accustomed to (he nudges at my treat pocket, he nudged at me when I was carrying the food to the kennels, which is annoying, and will need reteaching.) But he is watching ALL of us very closely, and seems to be trying to figure out the 'new rules'.

I kept telling my girls 'OK, girls, he's a big rowdy guy, but Ginger sent him to us, so let's try to settle him down and teach him some manners' ...DB looks like she understands. Banshee is suffering a bit of anxiety, as she kept trying to hump my leg (which she only does if she's very anxious) He certainly he is not Ginger, quite different personalities, Ginger was the sweetest dog I've ever had, she could give you a look that would melt your heart ... but oh, I love to see an Irish setter running  (though Ginger was actually faster, as she was smaller and more streamlined ...) that great loping stride, and the beautiful  high stepping trot ... the pure joy on their face to feel the breeze on their face ... the thought of an Irish setter living somewhere he can't run is, well, a heartbreaker to me.

Thank you, St. Francis and Angel Ginger ... I am praying Corey works his way into my pack and my heart ...

Mary Lou
DB,Banshee,Ginger and Snoopy(dogs)
Damcat
Callie in spirit (04/90-06/07)
http://marylouandcompanions.blogspot.com/
http://gingeroftheflyingears.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. "corey" sounds like a good boy, my "ranger" (he "leads the way") is six months old, a pit bull/rottweiler mix and about to get his cojones clipped. his favourite thing is sharing the couch with me while napping.
    "gunner"
    (a 2nd amendment news reader)

    ReplyDelete