Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sunday Feb.13

Oh boy, what a day ... begins with waking up to the poor Damcat throwing up (husband had fed him a few bites of cat food... Damcat doesnt do well with eating in the morning...) Fix dog food, out to kennels, morning run ... go to church, return, dogs all outside with husband, greet me at gate ... go inside, fix lunch. Was going back to PetSmart )with my dogs, I figured they could wait in the van) but friend of husband's shows up, so postpone til around 230 ... go into town, meet herbalist friend at gardens (have walked dogs through gardens first, they are in great spirits very friendly and happy) ... get herbs and a spot of reiki (which Corey drinks in) ... then leave and go to PetSmart to pick up some stuff, all dogs were acting well, Snoopy was letting folks pet her, Banshee and DB having a grand time, Corey only had one barking episode (when husband was talking to some people) ... we left, all dogs except Corey were back in their crates, I had backed Corey up because he needs a 'running start' to get in his crate without assistance, when all of a sudden these two totally out of control huskies came around
the van, between the van and a car parked next to us, pulling their owners, snarling... heading straight at Corey, he whipped around and started barking and snarling back, I couldnt go backwards because the van was there, I couldnt stand still because the huskies were literally pulling their owners (2 pretty hefty young guys) towards us, so I was trying to get around the side of the van, Corey's head
whipped around and he grazed my arm ... my husband reached out (to do what I'm not sure, but Corey grazed his hand too) finally (I'm sure it was only seconds) the guys dragged their dogs off and husband got Corey crated, he settled down pretty quickly,
but I'm sure it was very traumatic to him ... I was bleeding pretty freely, went to Dollar Store and got peroxide (I had bandages in the van). This is, BTW, the ONLY time I have ever seen Corey exhibit aggressive behavior (though it was defensive rather than aggressive I suppose) ...  he seemed perfectly calm on the way home, but
when we got home and he got out, he ran around and around for several minutes, clearly still wrought up ...I gave him an extra valerian tonight and some Rescue Remedy. This is the thing that always surprises me, no matter how many times i witness it, how FAST these things happen ... and this is one reason I dont go to dog
parks with strange dogs and strange owners ... I still dont believe these guys were walking these 2 huskies out in public when they clearly had NO control over them (they had prong collars on, but when an animal is wrought up to that extent, it feels nothing...) I dont really know how to work on this with Corey, he is always very
polite and friendly towards other dogs, except apparently when they are attacking him ... but I try to teach my dogs that I will keep them safe and avert any problems, and I guess Corey doesnt believe me (and I didnt do a very good job, eh... but I didnt even see these dogs until they were practically on top of us)...  oh well. Any suggestions appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment